Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Just thought I'd ask again if anyone has a FSM for the 19+ trucks yet,

I received my new heater cord today finally, Mopar 68409910AB-001, and as I thought there are no instructions for installation. ( I was hopeful as this is also an "accessory") I still haven't got my FSM, but going to be cold and snow again this weekend so I'd like to get it put in.

I was just looking for the wire routing and any applicable installing / information or tips... I know there is my way and the easy way, and the right way and rarely do the paths cross.

bcbender , Jan 26, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  2. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Wow there sure are a whole lot of useless u-tube videos out there like... "Hey watch me zip tie this $10 amazon lamp cord to my automatic transmission line and then wonder why I have a fluid leak later...." Woof...o_Oo_O

I think I'll start by pulling out the airbox and using my eyes and common sense and see if I can find where the Christmas trees go.. I guess I should so an oil change while I have the intake tube out huh:cool::cool::cool:

bcbender , Jan 26, 2022
    brucejohnson and Rob S like this.
  3. GroundSquirrel

^^^^ yep and pull the fender liner. It will give you a huge view to route the cord.

GroundSquirrel , Jan 26, 2022
  4. bcbender TDR MEMBER

yeah. planned on that the only thing thats a PITA is I have to replace the plastic rivets now every time I do it, HD flaps are riveted on not screwed on like the 04 I had, so its a once and done thing now.. I do have the plastic rivet kit, make it easy and I can see why they do it on the line, but not for the end user.

bcbender , Jan 26, 2022
  5. Topzide TDR MEMBER

@bcbender, In the spring I'm going to install Rivet nuts for some of the attachment points on liner and my aluminum splash guards I've installed. I figured it'll help both the in and out struggle with that liner and with stainless hardware, would look nicer! I'm prepping for snow and - wind chill numbers from same storm! I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Topzide , Jan 27, 2022
  6. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Yep... Weekend number 3 and more snow... Im sure there are some here in NC wondering if its the end of days......:rolleyes:

bcbender , Jan 27, 2022
  7. Wiredawg

@bcbender,

Before taking your truck apart, consider getting a Topside Crawler and work from the top. Haven't looked under hood of a 19+, but I'm thinking common elements to remove for access: left battery and air filter. Those "SHOULD" get you the access you want. Anyhoo, just a thought.

BTW, I bought my Topside Crawler at Amazon. Works good for under the hood fuel filter changes and you get to do it lying down.

Wiredawg , Jan 27, 2022
    Topzide, Rob S and Ozymandias like this.
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

I second this, work from the top and from below, i don't see a benefit from pulling the wheel well liner here.

Ozymandias , Jan 27, 2022
    Wiredawg and Rob S like this.
  9. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I will some day, right now I can generally get at most everything I need from below / side with the truck 6' in the air on the lift.. I also have a long alum step platform that is about 2' high so gets you to a height where reaching things is pretty easy (for the few things I need to reach on top).

bcbender , Jan 27, 2022
    Wiredawg and Rob S like this.
  10. brillmtb1

So not directly related to your question but a thought for you. I am installing a dual plug in mine this weekend. Just put a new heater cord on as mine broke and will be installing a trickle charger, actually the one I got will put out some good amps. I am going to route both to a y cable set up and single plug in. My thoughts is in the winter I plug in the truck for the block heater and will have the charger looking at my batteries and topping off as well. In the summer I can still use the charger and just reach behind and unplug the block heater although I dont have battery drain as much in the summer. I already check parasitic drain issues and I have high quality batteries but this will keep my rig topped off and heated on cold days with a single plug in. If interested I can copy and send the plug I got if you are interested in adding a charger as well.

brillmtb1 , Jan 28, 2022
  11. Wiredawg

Just curious if you asked your dealer how much to install it per Ram specs? Might find it's a viable alternative.

Wiredawg , Jan 28, 2022
  12. bcbender TDR MEMBER

I went to the dealer and they could not find instructions.. go figure!... They did have a 22 3500 CC that was equip with the cord so I took pictures and notes... looks like a real PITA once it start wrapping itself around the bumper and core support, going to have to pull the grill, maybe the headlamp. .I'll take notes and let ya know how it goes.

bcbender , Jan 28, 2022
  13. Wiredawg

I checked my 2017 Ram 5500 FSM and no joy about routing the wiring... just shows:
    Disconnect batteries
    Drain coolant
    Coat the heater threads thread sealer
    Screw in and tighten to 55ft lbs
    Connect the block heater cord and securely tighten retaining cap.
    The cord is attached to an engine compartment component with tie wraps, routed away from exhaust manifold and moving parts.
    Add coolant.
    Reconnect batteries.

Hope this helps.

Wiredawg , Jan 29, 2022
  14. GroundSquirrel

Drain coolant??

GroundSquirrel , Jan 29, 2022
  15. lpennock

Instructions where for installation of heater element and cord.

lpennock , Jan 29, 2022
  16. Wiredawg

Yes, drain coolant... the block heater screws into engine block and heats coolant. Where did you think it went?

Wiredawg , Jan 29, 2022
  17. bcbender TDR MEMBER

Hahah.. Thanks Ron, the guy at the dealership said the same thing, nothing about the electrical routing, I expected an ISO view or something.

It took me some time as I believe the harness on the 19+ trucks is routed and installed on the bumper as a sub assy, then taken to the truck as it moves down the line, the frame side routing is a piece of cake, but bumper side is a PITA, the routing is clearly done for assy. purposes but is neat and tidy when done... I took a bunch of pictures and will do a writeup this weekend for the next guy.

bcbender , Jan 29, 2022
    Wiredawg likes this.
  18. Topzide TDR MEMBER

Gotta love the FSM description on how to do anything! I've read mine for a couple of things and end up scratching my head! Main reasoning to have is the step and torque valves. Read 2 - 3 times, write "cliff notes", do repair. @bcbender, glad you've gotten it done and providing help for the next guy! Was out clearing a couple driveways of the 4 - 6 inches of snow we got here. People sure do a double take seeing a Ram 1500 with a plow setup! was so much nicer cleaning the drive with heat, speed and power! Took 20 minutes instead of couple hours with tractor! (only 15hp compact diesel and 4' bucket) Be safe if on east coast with the wind chill! We're not used to it!

Topzide , Jan 29, 2022
    bcbender and Wiredawg like this.
  19. GroundSquirrel

But didn't OP say he bought a heater cord? My 2016 didn't come with a cord. All I did was buy the cord and plug it into the passenger side of the block. No reason to drain any coolant. I guess Cummins isn't pre installing the actual element anymore.

GroundSquirrel , Jan 29, 2022
  20. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

They still all have the element. The FSM is talking about how to install both, if needed.

AH64ID , Jan 31, 2022
    Topzide and bcbender like this.