Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CWebster

Hey all,

Need help diagnosing a transfer case problem (least that is what I think it is). When I am in 2wd, I will get a grinding noise that feels like it is coming thru the transfer case shift lever. If I put it in 4WD HI the grinding noise goes away... but sometimes when I am decelerating, I get a loud clunk, like the chain jumps a tooth, or ??. I dropped the fluid and don't have any significant metal, and it drives just fine in 4wd HI (except the random clunk)... it just grinds in 2wd. Its a rebuild from Transfer Case Express and I am going to see what they have to say, but I would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has had similar problems. :{

CWebster , Mar 7, 2005
  2. vssman

You most likely have a broken snap ring inside of the transfer case. That allows the innerds of the TC to walk and cause the grinding noise and spoil the TC. If you driven it for any significant distance with it grinding, you'll probably have to have it rebuilt. Ask me how I know... ... :rolleyes:

vssman , Mar 7, 2005
  3. CWebster

vssman,

I was wondering if that might be the issue... . I know its been discussed many times and had a few articles in the mag about it. I am trying to think... can't it be repaired without dropping the t-case? Thanks for the reply, I hope I can get it fixed before I need a whole new unit.

Chris

CWebster , Mar 7, 2005
  4. CWebster

It was the snap ring. $8 plus trans fluid. Dealership wanted $2100 plus labor :--) ... . think I'll be giving the service manager a call... ...

Chris

CWebster , Mar 7, 2005
  5. jrobinson2

I think the snap ring will solve the growling but I doubt it will solve the jumping out of gear under deceleration. I think that will be a separate problem with the shift fork, input shaft and range gear collar, at least that was the problem with my 35,000 mile Mopar "remanufactured" T-case that was installed under warranty :mad:

:mad: I would NEVER EVER buy anything remanufactured by Mopar after seeing the inside of my transfer case, the inside parts look like they have about 250,000 miles on them and it was improperly assembled ruining the lower rear bearing and front output shaft :mad:

Jared

jrobinson2 , Mar 8, 2005
  6. B KIRK

Do THIS so it won't happen again.

Brad

B KIRK , Mar 8, 2005
  7. vssman

The sychros/gears & a shaft had to be replaced on mine. It was a mess. All from that snap ring breaking and not pulling over as soon as I heard the strange noise.

vssman , Mar 8, 2005
  8. CWebster

That's the ticket right there. Wish I hadn't just finished putting everything all back together.

CWebster , Mar 8, 2005
  9. jrobinson2

The t-case saver snap ring eliminator can only be used on the DLD case, it can not be used on the DHD case with the PTO port on the side.

Jared

jrobinson2 , Mar 8, 2005