Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rkrausff29

I have a 06 3500 crew cab 4x4 with a leveling kit what 17 " rims whats the biggest tire I can put on with out any problems

rkrausff29 , Jan 18, 2015
  2. Prairie Dog

If your stock and tow your best choice is stock sizes.

Prairie Dog , Jan 18, 2015
  3. cerberusiam Staff Member

Tallest is 35", widest 12.5 inches. On a stock rim that will fit and not rub. Go any wider and you have to reduce the back space or they will rub on the control arms at full lock and the fenders in full articulation.

cerberusiam , Jan 19, 2015
  4. pjorlando

I run 285/75R17 Dura grapplers on my '06 dually. No leveling kit, no mods to suspension. I have 4.10 gears. Do like the lower RPMs while cruising, only drawback up significant inclines with trailer are more work for truck, but she doesn't complain. Mine measured up at 34 inches. No tire rub.

pjorlando , Jan 20, 2015
  5. MarkEkberg

pjorlando,

Do you have spacers? What size? Are your rims the same width as the 03?

MarkEkberg , Jan 20, 2015
  6. Bob V

He has a dually

Bob V , Jan 20, 2015
  7. cerberusiam Staff Member

Nothing there says dually.

cerberusiam , Jan 20, 2015
  8. Bob V

Read the title.

Bob V , Jan 20, 2015
  9. pjorlando

Yes I have a dually, no spacers needed. Have about 1/2 gap between tires in back. Run 60psi. 55 when empty or not towing. Fronts are always set at 65psi. So far about 14,000 on tires no problems.

pjorlando , Jan 20, 2015
  10. pjorlando

Speedo is 10% off, when it says 55, I'm really doing 60.

pjorlando , Jan 20, 2015
  11. cerberusiam Staff Member

....and still not clear enough to be sure. DUEL could be a wheel name or could be a mis-spelling, nothing to say one way or another. Absent a clear indication, SRW or DRW, it is inference either way. However, since he clearly indicated "leveling kit" that does slant it a bit towards the concerns I addressed. Maybe he is running spacers, maybe he is considering an SRW configuration, maybe he doesn't care or never thought about DUAL tires touching, maybe he is getting custom rims that solve that problem, maybe he is just doing front tires. Yes, one should READ the title and the contents in its entirety before making snap judgements based on a lack of information. Reading is an art best practiced rather than assigned.

On a DUAL wheel setup it will depend somewhat on the tire and its contact patch on the road. Generally a 265 tire is the max width to maintain separation loaded and unloaded. Some tires will contact more than others, loaded or unloaded. Some operators don't run enough load for it to be an issue, some operators do not care if the contact could be an issue.

Answer is still the same 35x12.5 is the biggest WITH A LEVELING KIT without excessive contact on the steer and needing different rims. The 35x12.5 on a stock DUAL wheel setup is going to be a different story if one cares to look at that aspect.

cerberusiam , Jan 21, 2015
  12. rkrausff29

Sorry about the spelling id a drw duelly with after market 17" rims

rkrausff29 , Jan 21, 2015
  13. cerberusiam Staff Member

Thanks for the additional info, that clarifies things. Are the after market rims the same back spacing\width as stock? Are your concerns with the steer axle and rubbing, or, the duals and tire interference with each other?

14. rkrausff29

Same as stock and they cant hit any thing or each other

rkrausff29 , Jan 21, 2015
  15. cerberusiam Staff Member

Wheels won't hit but wider tires on the dual wheels will touch at the bottom when loaded. Depends on tires.

16. Bob V

I understood it. I know some who are running 255 80 17, but they do have a level kit in front but do not need the spacers for the rear. Why do you not want to run a level kit?

Bob V , Jan 21, 2015