1. Axekicker TDR MEMBER

I've heard some TDR members talk about reprogramming their grid-heater's so they turn on at a lower temperature. I just ran to Home-D and it's 60 degree's out (cold engine /first time started today) and the grid heater was cycling as if it was 'cold-out'. How do I reprogram my GH's so they don't turn on unless it's below freezing outside?

Axekicker , Feb 16, 2020
  2. Prairie Dog

I would leave it alone. The puter turns on the grids for various reasons, including the good of the engine and/or the environment.
    And it isn't hurting anything be cycling.

Prairie Dog , Feb 16, 2020
  3. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

You can put them on a switch. When the switch is off they won’t come on. When the switch is on, they’ll operate as normal. At least they would on my ‘98. Your 3rd Gen may throw a code.

BigPapa , Feb 16, 2020
  4. Prairie Dog

It will throw a code if the puter senses the coil in the relay is open. ( intake Air Heater Relay High)

Prairie Dog , Feb 16, 2020
  5. BigPapa TDR MEMBER

Figures.

BigPapa , Feb 17, 2020
  6. BarryG TDR MEMBER

I don't think you can reprogram but as mentioned add a switch and deal with the possible code appearance. However iirc it is triggered by temp cant remember if it is the battery temp sensor or the iat sensor that it is getting its temp signal from for the grids. Could be one or the other is getting wonky or just enough degradation in the wiring of the circuit for it to get incorrect readings.

BarryG , Feb 17, 2020
  7. BarryG TDR MEMBER

Could be the sensor, cant remember if it is the battery temp sensor or the IAT sensor that gives the temp input for the grids to the ecm. Could also be degraded wiring for the appropriate circuit that is causing it to get a bad signal from the sensor

BarryG , Feb 17, 2020
  8. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

There is no Code as long as the relay keep working and only the feed line is interrupted. BTDT

Ozymandias , Feb 17, 2020
  9. Prairie Dog

What do you mean by "feed line"? is that the high current connection? If so then yes, you could disconnect that.

Prairie Dog , Feb 17, 2020
  10. cerberusiam Staff Member

First question how do you know the grid heater was actually cycling? 60 degrees is on the borderline that it might cycle once or twice but as soon as you exceed 15 mph the grid heaters cut out. If it was actually cycling driving there is another issue somewhere.

cerberusiam , Feb 17, 2020
  11. Prairie Dog

I forget, is it the grid heater indicator that comes on if there excessive injector return?

12. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Yes that's the one.
    I disconnected it once years ago on our winter tour to the polar circle when my batterys get suddenly weak.
    No codes for 2 weeks till I got new batterys.

Ozymandias , Feb 17, 2020
  13. Prairie Dog

That should work. The puter is only looking for the resistance of the coil in the relay. As long as that's present, it's happy.

Ozymandias likes this.
  14. cerberusiam Staff Member

If you are seeing the grid heater light come on at speed you are likely getting the DTC for excess fuel return. If the grid is activating at speed the relays are stuck and there should smoke rolling out of things relatively soon after start up.

cerberusiam , Feb 17, 2020
  15. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

With UDC Pro tuning on a Touch or MM3 the grid heater can be adjusted. I do it on every custom tune I write.

AH64ID , Feb 17, 2020
  16. KATOOM

A couple decades or so ago there was a guy by the name of Harold or Harvey (cant remember) who built in his garage, and sold through the diesel forums, a wiring device he called the "grid heater saver", which disabled the grid heaters when the engine coolant was above set coolant temperature. It prevented the constant re-cycling of the grid heaters when you're making frequent stops around town driving where you're shutting the motor off and re-start the engine.
    I've tried to find out if anyone has one to possibly replicate, because the Harold/Harvey guy is nowhere to be found anymore...

KATOOM , Feb 17, 2020
  17. AH64ID TDR MEMBER

There had to be more to it that ECT. The grids fire based on intake manifold temp. On a warm engine the IAT goes up when you shut it off running errands, not down. That makes the grids less likely to be used for in town driving, even in cold cold weather.

AH64ID , Feb 17, 2020
  18. KATOOM

Well since he's MIA.....I guess we'll never know. ;)

KATOOM , Feb 17, 2020
    AH64ID likes this.
  19. promisedland

On my 04.5, I took my grid block out (deleted) & insulated the heavy wires & no codes.
    Wanted to see how much it helps, starts fine w/a lil more cold start haze & a lil more crank/sputter at 25*

promisedland , Feb 17, 2020
    CEppinger and Ozymandias like this.
  20. sag2 TDR MEMBER

This sounds like one is trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. There are possibly millions of trucks running around with grid heaters turning on when the ECM thinks they should.

sag2 , Feb 18, 2020