Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

This question is for a colleague in the wilds of Wyoming. The "on" indicator light that's part of the dashboard switch for the exhaust brake on her 2008 CTD 6 spd has quit working. I'm told that the brake switch itself is still OK. But the indicator light is built into the switch. Worse, the switch is no longer available through dealer channels and I can't find it at Rock Auto.

Is just the bulb replaceable? Does anyone have a source for the whole replacement switch?
    Many thanks. Matt

Matt42 , Jul 1, 2021
  2. mwilson TDR MEMBER

Matt,
    Just verified what you said. However before you give up call a RAM dealer and have them check the parts system if you have not done so already..

Dealers may still have some of those switches on the shelf but it will take another dealer checking to see them...

I came up with 4602692AB...correct?

mwilson , Jul 1, 2021
  3. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

That looks like the part number. I had to insert a leading zero at the beginning to make it work, though, at parts websites. So they could tell me it had been discontinued.:( So that makes it 04602692AB. I've explained to my colleague, who can usually select the correct end of a screwdriver, that were it me, I would wire up a circuit with an LED pilot light and a relay to accomplish the same thing.

Thanks for looking.

Matt42 , Jul 2, 2021
  4. sag2 TDR MEMBER

I checked in Star Parts, no dealers have it in inventory. I would not bother with it. As soon as you hit the switch and let off you know if the brake is on. I see no need to have the light.
    The switch fits 2007-2010 in you want to try and find a used one.

sag2 , Jul 2, 2021
    brucejohnson and Jim W like this.
  5. Matt42 TDR MEMBER

Awww, nuts. But really what I expected. Thanks for looking because it helps a lot. The years of application also really help, in my looking for a gem in the slush pile. Is Star Parts a dealer-only resource?

I got some clarification this morning. The switch itself is working just fine. Only the green indicator has stopped working. My colleague is concerned that ten years out what will happen when the switch quits working all together. My reply is buy the TSM, even if it is complete gibberish to her. (She runs cutting horses and scanning electron microscopes.) Someone she knows will understand the wiring diagram and will be able to bypass the OEM switch with a toggle switch or some such.

Matt42 , Jul 2, 2021
  6. sag2 TDR MEMBER

OK, had another idea. The switch is included in the exhaust brake kit. Two dealers show they have it but until you can verify I would not trust this is accurate. Also if the box is not factory sealed have them open it to make sure someone else didn't have the same idea.

Attached Files:

sag2 , Jul 2, 2021
  7. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Isn't it just the switch cover that matters?
    Internals the same on other switches?
    I don't know but maybe he can combine something, existing cover with new internals from a generic switch.

Ozymandias , Jul 2, 2021