Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royk

I'd like to replace the clunky, old AM/FM/CD player with something modern with a touchscreen, backup camera capability, Bluetooth, etc. I don't have steering wheel controls, so that's not a requirement. I'd like to have phone mirroring so I can use my iPhone's GPS on the radio display. Any suggestions?

Royk , Aug 23, 2020
  2. Wiredawg

There's a lot of choices including installation kits with replacement center dash piece. I bought my niece one on Ebay a couple years ago for around $300. Easy to install, complete kit.
    Screenshot_20200823-060828_eBay.jpg #ad

Lots of choices/ brands. Check Crutchfield too.

Cheers, Ron

Wiredawg , Aug 23, 2020
  3. ScottLewis

I recently installed a ATOTO A6 in my '06. I'm still learning how to use all the functions since I haven't driven much since the install. It is an Android that can mirror your phone, has rear view and forward view camera inputs and several USB connectors. It also has a steering wheel gadget to control radio volume, etc. as a separate option. I've rigged it up so I can view any one of 3 cameras in reverse (back-up, bed cam and RV rear view) I can also toggle RV rear view wile driving. A kit from Amazon gives it a factory look and modifying the opening to fit the 2 Din radio wasn't too bad. My pictures aren't great but should give an idea of the appearance
    radio screen 2.jpg #ad
    map screen.jpg #ad

SW control.jpg #ad

silver dash kit 2.jpg #ad

installed.jpg #ad

ScottLewis , Aug 23, 2020
  4. jghflys

Check the Crutchfield site. There are lots of options and reviews there and they have technical support. Here is the radio change I did in my truck.

jghflys , Aug 23, 2020
  5. ScottLewis

Make sure the kit you buy is correct for the dash in your truck. I THINK the '05 and '06 are different with the '06 having half moon cutouts on the sides. The Amazon kit I bought has the antenna adapter and wiring harness pigtail included and was about $30

6. MichaelOverfield

I also have the ATOTO A6, though I do have a few glitches with it (I'm going to try the firmware update today, might fix the glitches). There is a newer S8 From ATOTO that I would recommend for new buyer, has a few more features, but most importantly, double the RAM, and double the processors.. the A6 is a bit slow, sometimes annoyingly so.. but the list of features is extensive and have a Front, Back-up, and RV trailer capability in one unit is a hard find. It does also have that on the S8 version as well. I'll try to get a few pictures when I'm doing the update and post in a later post.

MichaelOverfield , Aug 23, 2020
  7. Regcabguy

Pioneer here but as stated,you'll miss the big buttons. The sound is better,the usb connection delivers better sound out of my IPod but despite HD Radio,my AM reception is not as good. I think before the next multi-week trip I'll buy a short term subscription to Spotify or similar. Crutchfield will advise. great company.

Regcabguy , Aug 23, 2020
  8. Royk

Were you able to keep the cubby hole under the radio?

Royk , Aug 23, 2020
  9. Royk

That looks pretty sweet! Does it come with NAV or is the photo mirroring your phone? My truck didn't come with NAV, but I'd like my iPhone to display GPS info on the screen.

Royk , Aug 23, 2020
  10. Royk

I was up until sunrise last night checking Crutchfield! LOL!!!!

Royk , Aug 23, 2020
  11. Royk

I never heard of Atoto, but since two of you guys are happy with it, I guess it's pretty good!

Royk , Aug 23, 2020
  12. ScottLewis

So far, nearly all the issues I've had with mine are due to my ignorance of the Android features. I can barely use my phone for text and phone, let alone anything more complex. I'm gradually learning but am having a tough time with voice commands. I'm from an era when the onlybvoices on my those were those the person I was talking to

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  13. Wayne M.

So I was back on crutchfield too after over a year. Mine is a 04.5 RAZ and 7 speaker infinity. I really want to keep the SW buttons and the amp. Looks like keeping both is now impossible. They had a patch to feed the amp, but seems that’s gone now. Hmmmm.
    I did find a nice kenwood HU for $99. I mainly want to play CD’s and have bluetooth.

Wayne M. , Aug 24, 2020
  14. ScottLewis

The ATOTO comes with a couple of map programs and is able to mirror your phone without adding anything. It can download Google and other maps to use offline and uses Google maps via your phone. It's also able to use your steering wheel controls. I added the one they offer although I'm not thrilled with it. I'm not certain about the infinity amp, though. Mine doesn't have it. It does have a number of wires and instructions for features I don't have. It does not play CDs. but has input USBs for DVD or other options. Look it up on Amazon. Gets pretty good ratings there.

Although the company is in "gasp" CHINA, they are responsive to questions and have a help page and their own forum, and usually answer emails within a day or so.

ScottLewis , Aug 24, 2020
    MichaelOverfield likes this.
  15. jghflys

This one has iphone capability with carplay (probably wired, plug your phone in), and can use steering wheel buttons and will play Cd/dvd. More expensive at $279 but looks to have the features you want. Talk with Crutchfield tech, no warranties from me on usability for your application.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_104BV900AC/Boss-BV900ACP.html

jghflys , Aug 24, 2020
  16. Ozymandias TDR MEMBER

Wayne there is more then just crutchfield.

But I can tell you that it is a little more expensive to keep AMP and SW as I did when moving to the 2-DIN Pioneer.
    You need this >>> https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/CHTO-02
    And this >>>https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/ASWC-1

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    Ozymandias , Aug 24, 2020
    Wayne M. likes this.
  17. ScottLewis

That's the radio screen without mirroring the phone. Torque is included so you can add a wireless OBDII sender and use it as a code reader. That works well too. It has it's own GPS with separate antennas for it and WiFi. Both work without the phone connected. As will maps if the correct ones are downloaded (free).
    radio screen.jpg #ad

ScottLewis , Aug 24, 2020
    MichaelOverfield and Wayne M. like this.
  18. MichaelOverfield

I strongly advise against anything BOSS, the first TWO attempts to install an upgrade radio in my truck were BOSS units (yes I should have learned the FIRST time). Both units had major problems. The last one would NOT SHUT OFF, and would drain the car battery.. I had to keep a charger plugged in until I could get around to replacement. It had a goofy radio interface, and the screen was way to bright for night driving, but it it did have a easy screen off function to make it workable for a time.

I did install my firmware upgrade in the A6 ATOTO, it is better several glitches were corrected. The support is pretty good from the OEM on the ATOTO. It has features that I could not find in other units, like 3 camera/video inputs. I have the back up camera, a front camera (good for parking), and a option for the AUX in to be the as yet to be installed RV rear facing camera for when towing. I did not find any other unit with that many inputs.. Oh, and in addition to that it has a DVR dash cam function, as a separate camera.

If I was buying a new one, I'd get the S8, it has the upgraded hardware, double the RAM, double the processors, only slightly more money, but it would be worth it. The S8 was not out when I bought mine in Jan 2019.

MichaelOverfield , Aug 24, 2020
  19. MichaelOverfield

I have mixed feelings to be honest, but it's way better than the BOSS units I tried previously. The firmware update I just installed seems to have resolved some issues, and that might make me far more happy... The newer S8 has double the RAM and processors, I'd bet that solves all the issues I'm seeing, I would buy it if I were looking, despite the challenges on the current unit. See my prior post, for features, I could not find a unit with more capability. I didn't really need a front camera, but it can be handy parking in tight places. The Dashcam is a nice to have, you never know when that could be quite important. It runs automatically and the videos are stored if you ever need to pull one up. The Bluetooth and WiFi seem to be rock solid on this one, can't say that for the BOSS units.. they had issues with bluetooth. The screen is really nice, display and touch are quality. You just need to be patient at times because the processor seems to be working hard, again, the S8 would almost certainly not have that lag.

The big improvement on the firmware update is fixing the Android Auto glitches. With the A6 you need a dongle to do Andoid Auto and Apple car play, the new S8 upper end units are direct connect, another plus on the S8. In any case, before update Android Auto would cut off the radio audio when it gave any audio, and not come back, and you could not get the radio back, that is no longer a problem, and makes Android Auto the way to navigate for me, which is what my newer GM cars have built in, it seems to work as well now in this unit as it does in those cars. The highest level of S8 can even be made to do cellular and provide car WiFi. That might be attractive for some buyers.

MichaelOverfield , Aug 24, 2020
  20. gpintler TDR MEMBER

I put in this HIZPO unit [ oem for dodge] I picked it for the 2 knobs, also touch screen. Forward looking camera w/ DVR - rear camera but it is an andriod unit so it even takes the wifi for the camera on the trailer. Nav is in it and phone.
    dodge new stereo.jpg #ad
    hizpo-1.JPG #ad

it's face is slightly wider than a double din but I did not have to cut the under-dash to install it, the electronics is a single din.
    I did order a dash center piece and went to a junk yard to get a new dash faceia. I like to keep the original parts if I ever want to go back to stock look

note --- you can order the TV tuner kit but I did not see the need to watch the evening news while driving.

gpintler , Aug 29, 2020
    MichaelOverfield likes this.