Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCrosby

I Just Installed gauge About 3 Months Ago, At Times It Goes Crazy, Maybe Ones A Week. It Jumps Arounds From 15-5 Psi. For A Few Seconds. And Sometimes To 2 Psi. Most Of The Time Its 15 Idle 12 Wot. Is It The Gauges Or Lp. Thanks.

RCrosby , Aug 11, 2005
  2. johncameron

I've had 3 stock LP's do that. I hope my FASS NEVER does that!

I'd guess it's the LP.

JC

johncameron , Aug 11, 2005
  3. Turboman TDR MEMBER

Hey john, how are them DD2s working for you? I'm kinda wishing I left them where they were. I'm still trying to get mine to idle right with these EDMs.

Turboman , Aug 11, 2005
  4. darkhorse

I had a little trouble when I first installed my 1. 5's. It turned out I had some leakage around the fuel cross over tubes. After loosening them up & re torquing a little at a time things smoothed right out. You might have a similar problem.

darkhorse , Aug 11, 2005
  5. Wyatt 1

I have the 3's and same problem, not to bad and only at dle just jumps and falls you can barely here it.

Wyatt 1 , Aug 12, 2005
  6. Turboman TDR MEMBER

Wyatt, do you sleep ever? 4:53 am??? Don is sending me a 3rd set to see if this fixes the problem. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry, Rcosby, You might check all your connections and run a ground from the sender to the guage too.

Turboman , Aug 12, 2005
  7. johncameron

They are great! The power is what I expected, smoke is not too bad unless I mat it around 1200 but when the turbo spools around 1400-1500 it turns to a lighter haze through to the redline. For towing I've put a swich on the pump wire of my Banks box so I can just tow with the injectors but sitll use box as a boost fooler. EGT's stay under 1300F at 30-32lbs with the sticks only even pulling long 6% grades at WOT in OD for minutes at a time. My fuel mileage has not changed which is great because I figured with the extra power I'd be useing it all the time!!

JC

johncameron , Aug 12, 2005
  8. RustyJC

I've had the 0-16 PSIG Westach sending units exhibit this behavior when they're failing, so that's a possibility. I carry 1 or 2 spare sending units (I have a dual combo pre-filter and post-filter fuel pressure gauge that uses 2 senders) - if this happened to me, I'd swap sending units to see if it cured the problem. (Actually, if it happened to me, I could look at the other guage and see if it was a pump or sending unit problem. ) ;) :-laf

Rusty

RustyJC , Aug 12, 2005
  9. diesel DOG

tap it with your hand and it will go nuts I think it is the guage. I have had two and just got a new LP and it is going nuts if I tap it.

diesel DOG , Aug 12, 2005
  10. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

Do you have a shock absorbing line between the fuel pressure tap and gauge sender. Or, is the sender mounted directly to the filter housing? Most folks use a grease gun hose to the pressure tap and then run it over to the sender - mounted on the body somewhere? MHO

Joe Mc , Aug 12, 2005
  11. mbonivert

Have you found out what the problem is. I have the same problem with my westec fuel guage. It will not go below 5 psi. I have two filters the one on the engine and one on the rail. I checked both of them the last time and both filters were like new. I even made sure that I was using the correct pressure port as per the TDR article.

mbonivert , Aug 13, 2005
  12. Joe Mc TDR MEMBER

13. Texas Diesel

Read this:

http://turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118389&highlight=westech+carry+plug

Do as Rusty does and carry a couple of spares or do what I did and get an Isspro mechanical one.

Look at the pics of the way it's built and you decide.

You can see by the picture the outer can isnt sealed and moisture condenses on the inside causing a lot of corrosion of the internal parts. I would bet if you cut it open you would see where the corrosion has damaged the resistive windings.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2005
    Texas Diesel , Aug 14, 2005
  14. JJRSMP12

I have the 0-30 psi guage. Needle would go from 14-0 back to 14. Then be fine for an hour. Next day, go to 0 and stayed there. Bad lift pump cured the problem.

JJRSMP12 , Aug 15, 2005